and the decisions we waited too long to make.”
It was amazing how many great quotes came from Alice, White Rabbit, the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat. So many of us have at some point in our careers been afraid to go down the rabbit hole and wasted time over-analyzing which path to take next.
It’s a short post with one single point. If we all make 2016 a year of taking chances, building relationships and speed up our decision-making, think about how strong a year it will become.
- For those of you still waffling about which conventions/trade shows you’re going to attend, especially my favorite, ShutterFest. Get off the fence and register so that you can be there. Then join the SutterFest group on Facebook and start to build relationships with other attendees.
- For those of you who know you need to better understand lighting, start attending lighting workshops. Let’s make your choice of natural light a real choice, not a necessity because you haven’t taken the time to understand lighting. Start following people like Joe McNally, JB Sallee, Sal Cincotta, Brian Marcus, Dixie Dixon, Tamara Lackey, Tim Walden, Jared Platt, Justin and Mary Marantz, Charles and Jennifer Maring, Bambi Cantrell…and the list goes on and on. Plus they’re all shooting with Profoto gear – so just hit Profoto’s YouTube channel.
- For those of you who know you need to diversify you skill set – just do it! The only place to start is the beginning.
- For those of you who insist on doing everything alone – get involved in your local guild, chapter, club or affiliate. One of the best things to do for your business is get involved with other photographers. Start attending monthly meetings and get to know your competitors. They’ll soon become your best resource for help.
- For those of you still working on your marketing plans, and I know this is going to sound like another infomercial, but I don’t talk about anything I don’t believe in! Check out Marathon’s Marketing Advantage Program. It’s the only one of its kind in the industry, and it comes with your assigned facilitator. You need help with developing great marketing programs. If nothing else sign up for the MAP Getaway this July and join me along with some of the most talented educators in the industry!
Stop chasing success! There is no success fairy only hard work, dedication, and passion. Stay focused on your dreams and stop thinking so many of the challenges seem impossible.